March 3, 2012

Muggle Quidditch

'

On Sunday Eric and I decided to go for an impromptu walk around the duck pond on Virginia Tech's campus.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was shinning, and the birds were chirping.  As I gazed ahead at an ahead field, Eric and I noticed tents set up with a crowd gathered.  As I looked closer, I realized that there was a sort of sports field set up.  This field reminded me of something that I had imagined in books and then seen on the silver screen.  Quidditch.  I scarcely hoped to believe this could be true. 


 I come to find out about the VQL, Virginia Quidditch League.  Colleges put forward a Quidditch team to compete, ultimately leading to the Quidditch World Cup...yes, this is a real thing. They have chasers, beaters, and a seeker, and they run around with brooms between their legs.  But my favorite part of the game is the snitch.  Now in Harry Potter the snitch is a magical gold ball that flies around until it is caught by one team's seeker.  In Muggle Quidditch the seeker is a player dressed in yellow who is constantly running around the campus until caught by a team's seeker.  Is this not the greatest thing that has ever been?



  I can't lie, if I had found out about this at Bethel, I would have made this happen.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

HAha u know I am reluctant to do anything but I would have definitely made this happen right along with you!!