February 24, 2012

A healthier way to do things.

My sister has completely reinvented the way she eats, and has found some great new and healthy ways to make delicious meals.  One of her recent obsessions is to make her own chicken stock.  Surprisingly easy, but not often done because it takes so long.

I decided to give it a try using a crock pot instead of a stock pot on the stove.  This proved a bit unsuccessful.  After about an hour, I moved it back to the stove.  The broth needed to boil.  




Here is what I used:

  • 2 split chicken breasts
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 2-3 green onions
  • 1 small unpeeled onion  
  • 1 head of garlic, unpeeled chopped in half
  • Several whole mushrooms
  • fresh parsley
  • oregano
  • basil
  • salt and pepper
  • Water

You basically combine it all, let it cook for 5 or so hours and you have a delicious chicken stock to use in soups and cooking.  My batch made about 3 cups of chicken stock.  I took out the veggies and made it into a delicious chicken and vegetable soup. It takes time, but it produces quality!

1 comment:

A Fuller Day said...

Nicely done! You should definitely always listen to your sister!